How you can use School Notice Boards to Improve Communication
Why is communication so important in schools?
When it comes to fostering a love of learning, nothing is more important than clear and effective communication. Teachers and school administrators like you are always on the lookout for new and improved ways to increase the efficacy of the communication in their institutions.
Of course, communicating with children is much different than communicating with adults. Visual aids can be a great help when it comes to ensuring that kids know exactly what is going on and what is expected of them. Well-planned and skilfully decorated classrooms can stimulate creativity, boost interest in subject matter, and build a strong bond between teacher and student.
That said, don’t forget the importance of teachers communicating with parents. While teachers spend most of their time with students, a clear line of communication to their parents can be a vital factor in a child’s success. Involving parents in every step of the educational process is more important than ever. Regular face to face meetings and progress reports are key, as are regular letters and emails home.
While digital methods of communication are utilised every step of the way in the education process, nothing is more efficient than printed materials. A well-organised school notice board is still the best place to share information with parents and students alike.
How do school notice boards help improve communication?
There are many reasons why schools around the world use notice boards. While the reasons below are useful for any institution, you can also think about unique uses that would suit your school’s individual needs.
- They can display important information – Administrators in schools use their notice boards to display the following: examination results, upcoming events, class timetables and schedules, public holidays, ‘employee of the month or year’, contest winners, school and district sport events, local news, announcements, annual meetings and assemblies, job vacancies, and so much more.
- They help people feel engaged – Schools of all sizes are communities. While parents, teachers and students all relish the opportunities to communicate in person, this is not always possible. When communication breaks down people can start to disengage from the activities and events happening around them. Just with their very existence, notice boards can bring people together and help them feel engaged with what is going on at their school.
- They can keep everyone on the same page – When you regularly post updates and valuable information on a school notice board, you ensure that everyone is on the same page. This way, no one is caught off guard by upcoming examinations, events or class trips, and things run more smoothly in general.
- They can make sure that everyone is informed about safety and procedures – Nothing is more important that keeping your students safe. By posting all important safety information in a common area, you can keep your charges informed while demonstrating to parents that you take this issue seriously.
- They can be used to inspire students – School notice boards aren’t just useful for admin and quotidian procedures; they can be effective tools for inspiring and motivating students. Use them to display the remarkable achievements of individuals and/or teams, or highlight special alumni for recognition. By seeing what is possible for each and every one of them, students will feel inspired and excited about the learning opportunities ahead.
Different types of school notice boards
- 1. Cork Notice Board
Cork notice boards are one of the most classic and commonly used styles for good reason – they are extremely functional and easy to update. Simply post your notice with pins or tacks. You can change things up often as it only takes a few moments of your time. Cork notice boards are ideal in a classroom or placed in a location that has frequent supervision.
- 2. Lockable Notice Board
If you wish to place a school notice board in a location that does not have frequent supervision, a lockable notice board might be your best bet. These secure boards come fitted with a locking mechanism that prevents tampering. As a result, lockable notice boards are well suited to outdoor areas.
- 3. Mobile Notice Board
Do you need a school notice board that can move from place to place when needed? A mobile notice board might just do the trick. These moveable boards are fixed with wheels, and so they can be easily wheeled from room to room anywhere in your school.
- 4. Glass Writing Board
Glass writing boards can be a colourful and dynamic way to display information in a school. These can be even more useful than traditional cork or magnetic boards, as they allow for messages and information to be scrawled right on the surface. Ideal for classroom learning and brainstorming sessions, glass writing boards are attractive, modern and fun to use for teachers and students alike.
- 5. Whiteboards
Similar to the glass writing board listed above, a whiteboard is a classic choice designed for use with dry erase markers or as a projection surface. Magnetic whiteboards are even more useful, and allow you to post printed documents alongside written information.
Where should you place a school notice board for maximum effect?
This is a very common question we receive, and the answer can vary greatly depending on the specific situation and what you are trying to achieve. Many schools find that they are very effective placed near the main entrance, as this is an area where parents and children alike tend to congregate. Placing a school notice board near the administrative office is also a smart idea. This is a location where parents and carers know to look when they need information about upcoming events.
Don’t neglect the importance of keeping your staff in the loop. Teachers, secretaries, janitorial staff, dinner ladies and contractors should all have access to a central school notice board that alerts them to all important information. Safety procedures, upcoming events, school policies, and pertinent council news should all be displayed prominently.
How can teachers use school notice boards to aid in lessons?
Teachers use school notice boards in a wide range of ways, designed to suit their own individual teaching styles and preferences. One of the best ways to start building a sense of community in a classroom is by declaring a shared sense of purpose, and notice boards are an effective and visual way to do this. The very act of posting future goals, past accomplishments, and exciting news shows your students that you are committed to their learning and growth.
Teachers use their school notice boards in a variety of creative and exciting ways:
- Curriculum boards – Teachers receive the recommended curriculum from the local council, but within these recommendations they have a lot of room for creativity. A notice board can be the ideal place to post information, current events, pictures, poems and class work about term’s different learning topics. Consider a topic as broad as ‘Shakespeare’ – students can bring in their own drawings, newspaper and online news articles, playbills from theatres, and so much more, and these can all be displayed on a notice board in the classroom.
- Display boards – Many schools place display boards outside of each classroom, and the students are free to decorate this as they wish. You can ask your kids to create their own works of art, poetry and other creative outputs to make your board stand out from the crowd. Students will feel a sense of pride when they enter the classroom behind their work.
- Decorative boards – As a class, you can have your students vote on what they would like to use a bare wall in the classroom to display. Some popular choices might include sport, music, movies or books. Once they have chosen their desired décor, you can find ways to tie this into the lessons that you have planned.
- Informative boards – There is always a use for practical notice boards in the classroom that keep your students up to date with all of the information they need to excel. You can use a board like this to display timetables, examination results, schedules, maps, and/or upcoming assignments.
- Interactive boards – Any of the bulletin board styles above can be modified to be more interactive. You can create interactive boards in your classroom that allow students to make changes at set times of the day/week, or that invite them to complete problem solving activities, writing assignments, and art challenges.
As you can see from the information above, school notice boards are dynamic, effective and timeless tools. Even in our increasingly digital world, printed information shared in a common space is just as useful as ever. Do you have any uses for school notice boards that we haven’t covered above? Keep communicating and join in the conversation.